Friday, April 15, 2011

Recipe Organization

I have a problem.

I have about a million recipes and they are all over the place.  Or I find recipes and have no idea what to do with them.  Plus, I think I have far too many cook books with many of them only having a couple of recipes that I really like or care to try.

UGH.

I have tried the box method and it just doesn't work for me.

I have seen some women that keep recipes in photo albums.  That works until I have full page recipes from magazines or something.  I want something that I don't always have to copy something down onto something smaller.

I noticed another friend had hers in binders organized a particular way housed in page protectors for easy removal.  I think I may try this way of doing things.  I will organize according to main ingredient or as that is usually how I search for things on sites -- pork, chicken, fish, beef, dessert, etc.  I will probably make a section for crockpot meals because I generally look for that kind of meal specifically. It's probable that I will need a few binders in the whole process.

I'll let you know how it goes.  It's on my "to do" list for next week.

Do you have suggestions for recipe organization?

2 comments:

  1. I keep a binder with full page recipes in it for most everything. All the recipes are in the plastic protectors so that when I cook, they don't get mucked up. A recipe only goes in the binder if we like it and plan on eating it more than once and they are organized by type of main ingredient like you are thinking.

    I also have a little spiral bound set of 3x5's where I have all my family recipes written down. This always stays in the same cabinet with the binder so that I don't lose it.

    I like full page stuff b/c it is spread out and usually it has a picture. This is also a great way to save magazine pages or newspaper pages with recipes too since you don't have to re-write anything...just put it in a protector and pop it in the binder.

    It's the best system I have found that works consistently for me at least. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I have the binder method going as well! Although, I am about to burst it with all the recipes I have saved from magazines and allrecipes. Since I don't have a real big kitchen I love that I can snap a page out and stick it to the fridge or on the hood of the stove with a magnet as I follow the recipe.
    SInce you seem to be real good at motivating me to do something, maybe I will go through it and thin it out...

    ReplyDelete