Friday, April 1, 2011

Chipotle Chicken

I don't generally make up recipes and if I do they are really simple and not really noteworthy in my book.  However, my Chipotle Chicken will probably be making another appearance soon.  It's nothing fancy and really revolves all around one spice but it was pretty yummy.





Chipotle Chicken


1 T extra virgin olive oil
4 Chicken breasts (or any cut you feel like using)
Salt
Black pepper
Garlic powder
1 onion sliced
1 can petite diced tomatoes
1-2 tsp ground chipotle chile (from Spice Island for sure)

Heat oil in skillet over medium high heat.  Rub chicken with  salt, pepper, and garlic powder.  Place chicken breasts in skillet.  Cook about 4 minutes on each side.  (You could also grill your chicken which would add phenomenal flavor - cook until almost done.)  Remove to cutting board and shred chicken with forks (it will be hot!).  Place onions in skillet and cook until tender.  Add chicken and tomatoes. Stir.  Add ground chipotle chile.  (I originally did about 1 1/2 tsp and it was plenty spicy.  Husband probably would have liked more but we had a little mouth at the table.  She probably would have liked just 1 tsp.)  Mix well.  Simmer for about 10 minutes just to let the flavors combine.  Drain. (I just place a colander in a bowl and dropped it in so we would avoid soggy tacos.)

You can serve this as taco filling (soft or hard) - cheese, cilantro, sour cream, etc.  Make it for a taco salad type of meal.  Add some beans.  I think the next time I make this I will add a green bell pepper in with the onions.  Husband really liked this!

I cannot remember what other recipe I had this spice for and I think it was a little pricey at first (maybe $5?) but I am going to research more meals to make with it because we like it so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment