Saturday, April 23, 2011

Onion Chicken in Balsamic Sauce

I can't say that I am a complete chicken snob but I will say that I am pretty oblivious when it comes to other available cuts of chicken.  If I buy chicken, it is usually boneless, skinless chicken breast.  I happened upon a great deal for leg quarters -- I don't remember the price per pound -- but I had 5 leg quarters for about $3.20.  I figured it was worth the gamble and I would figure it out.  Time to be adventurous and try something new.  Enter this new recipe.  I found it on AllRecipes.com.  I forgot to write down some of the "adjustments" that reviewers left so I made it pretty much the same as the recipe.  I made a few adjustments and need to add a few notes. I think that this is binder worthy and would like having it again.

Onion in Chicken Balsamic Sauce


1 T olive oil
1 onion chopped
2-3 leg quarters
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 1/2 C chicken stock
1/2 C balsamic vinegar
1/2 C sun dried tomatoes, chopped
Salt & Pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees (I would go to 375)

In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat.  Add onion and reduce heat to low. (I kept the heat at medium because I needed to speed up the process)  Allow onions to caramelize, stirring only enough to prevent sticking and to be sure that all sides are fully cooked.  Add garlic and saute briefly.

Increase heat (if you need to) and add chicken to skillet, brown on both sides.  Remove chicken, onion, and garlic to a 9x13 inch baking dish.

Combine stock and vinegar.  Deglaze the skillet with this mixture and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to a simmer, stirring occasionally, until the mixture has thickened.  Pour mixture over the chicken and stir in the sun dried tomatoes.  Cover dish tightly and bake  in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes (I did 30), or until chicken is done and juices run clear.

**Again, I want to make note that I increased the oven temperature to 375F and I cooked it for 30 minutes to ensure that it was done.  Still super tender because of the sauce.  As I was typing this up I realized that I used WAY more balsamic than called for and it was still super yummy.  I had the recipe printed in double ingredients but soon realized there was no need for it.  The original 1 onion and sauce is plenty for 3 or more pieces of meat.  The sauce didn't thicken up enough for my liking so I added some Wondra -- you can use cornstarch, flour or arrowroot for the same result.  Finally, I used what sun-dried tomatoes I had on hand which I am sure was less than half a cup and it seemed to be plenty!


We had a brown rice, orzo, tomato, spinach pilaf-type side with it.  The extra sauce was yummy!


I saved the sauce to put over some left over quinoa for lunch the next day.  YUM!


The above picture was taken just before putting it in the oven - it was SO pretty.  It was just a pretty coming out of the oven but I was busy feeding a baby and Husband had to pull it out.  I don't think he would have been super excited if I had requested him to photograph dinner, too.  HA!  Although, I am sure he would have if I had asked.  Love him.

No comments:

Post a Comment