Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Hot Cross Buns

Some time on Saturday afternoon Husband mentioned having Hot Cross Buns for Resurrection Day breakfast.  Being a wife who wants to make her husband happy I looked into what it would take to make these traditional bread rolls.  I found this particular recipe that utilizes the help of bread machine to make the dough.  I was all for it because I had some other things to tend to for the next day's festivities on top of two little girls to chase around the house.

I had some yeast and I took a gamble because the expiration date had passed.  I have done this before with a horrible outcome.  Husband, who apparently developed a nose for yeast in his brewing days, assured me that my yeast was fine.  Sure enough, it was.  However, I would recommend NOT using yeast that has gone beyond its expiration unless you are fully prepared to start all over again.  I was.  Thankfully, I did not have to go back to square one.

They were pretty yummy when we did quality control that night.  While not as good as fresh from the oven warmed up the next day was just fine.  I made the frosting and we just frost as we go to make them easier to warm up and eat.  Yum!

If you don't have dried milk you can also warm up some skim milk (or maybe other lowfat milk?) in place of the water.  If you do this, leave the water out and leave the dried milk out.  This is me clarifying :)

We left the dried fruit out because I am not such a fan but I am sure that you can do a variety of different combinations.  I might be up for dried cranberries.

I also learned to be very careful when doing an egg brush on bread.  If you get a little too carried away you will end up with cooked egg on the bottom of the pan.  Not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things but not fun to discover.  Just be prepared.

I think that I had been looking at recipes far too long by the time I got to the frosting because instead of 2 teaspoons of milk...I used tablespoons.  Yeah, that made for some nasty looking frosting.  So, don't make that mistake.  I made the frosting in a sandwich bag -- just mix it all up in there -- and snip a corner to pipe it all out.  Make more if you like more frosting.

Hot Cross Buns

3/4 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
3 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon instant powdered milk
1/4 cup white sugar

3/8 teaspoon salt (for the math challenged 1/8 t three times ;)  )
1 egg
1 egg white
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
3/4 cup dried currants
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons water
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons milk

Directions

  1. Put warm water, butter, skim milk powder, 1/4 cup sugar, salt, egg, egg white, flour, and yeast in bread maker and start on dough program.
  2. When 5 minutes of kneading are left, add currants and cinnamon. Leave in machine till double.
  3. Punch down on floured surface, cover, and let rest 10 minutes.
  4. Shape into 12 balls and place in a greased 9 x 12 inch pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place till double, about 35-40 minutes.
  5. Mix egg yolk and 2 tablespoons water. Brush on balls.
  6. Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 20 minutes. Remove from pan immediately and cool on wire rack.
  7. To make crosses: mix together confectioners' sugar, vanilla, and milk. Brush an X on each cooled bun.

2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! I have always wanted to try making those, but just haven't done it. Maybe someday soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hot cross buns and have made them before. Didn't make anything this year, too busy with a 7 week old baby. :-)

    It looks like you did a fine job.

    ReplyDelete