Monday, March 28, 2011

Zone Cleaning Rooms with Older Children

I love technology.  In a different generation I would not be able to glean from a friend's experience as she lives in New Hampshire and I haven't seen her in about six or seven years.  However, I was able to glean future wisdom from her in a virtual blink of an eye.  My dear friend read my post about learning to "fly" again and she had just posted about breaking down her children's room into zones a la FlyLady.  She has three boys and is homeschooling them all.  I love it!

You can read her original post here.

I will highlight her post below:

  • Create Zones (Closet, dresser/chests, toy shelf, bookshelf, under bed)
  • Each weekday has an assigned zone to work on.
  • Daily (besides each zone) they are responsible for making beds, clothes in proper places, and tidy floor.
  • Take a picture of a good standard of how things should look for point of reference.
  • They can have their prized possessions or some other fun thing on their dresser or desk but it cannot be in a pile and should be there neatly.
That's her post in a very short and condensed version.  I think that there are ways to teach wee ones to help out with different things and to begin their training young and make it fun.

  • Giving them their own (age appropriate) tools - peeler, duster, rag, shelf in laundry area, bowl, etc.  Those are their tools too help you in whatever task. 
  • Involving them - Miss L loves to help with putting clothes in the washing machine.  She is also all about being right by my side while doing dishes -- even if it is only for the bubble and water entertainment value.
However, I am not sure what to do about the fact that Miss L is so very afraid of the vacuum cleaner and Miss A is at the stage of not really caring.  I thought Miss L would grow out of it but we are going on a year of this fright.  We may just have to grin and bear it.

1 comment:

  1. Nathaniel still leaves the room when I vacuum. He does it without crying now but I think he still hates that thing. So yup, grin and bear it. Your could try giving her a comfort item (teddy bear/blanket) and having her sit on the couch and watch you be silly and dance around with the vacuum but probably she's just one of those kids who gets shook up by loud noises. And that's okay :)

    ReplyDelete