Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Recovering...sort of

Last Friday was an interesting day to say the least.

It really all began Monday of last when I noticed what I thought were bug bites, of great quantity, on my right arm.  Not fun.  Not amused.

Throughout the week we watched them.  I resisted with great success to scratch them... and BOY did they itch!  They didn't really get better.  If anything, they seemed to get more swollen.  Thursday morning we made the decision to call my OB's triage nurse and see what she would say.  After describing my issue she wanted me to come in "just in case."  So, I made an appointment for early the next day.

Friday was to be a pretty busy day... little did we know how busy it would become.  Husband had the day off and his fun parents were coming down to help paint the nursery -- I would be supervising from a distance.  ha ha!  Husband accompanied me to my appointment where my OB was quite baffled at what she saw.  She busted out some books on dermatological issues during pregnancy and kind of narrowed some things down.  However, she wasn't convinced that they were bug bites.  She ordered up some lab work to check out my liver and referred me to my dermatologist.  Surprisingly, my dermatologist was able to get me in that very same day!  Whoa.  I think it may have something to do with being pregnant, I have noticed it gets you to the front of almost every line and sends red flags a waving.

After painting the nursery in record time, scarfing down some lunch, we headed into the dermatologist.  Husband and I were pretty sure that they would just give us some cream and we would be on our way.  Not so much.  She, too, was perplexed at these little red bumps that were in some pretty random formations.  She went the gamut of bug bites, to something else, back to the odd possibility that a little creature had in fact done this to me.  In the end, she wanted to do a biopsy!  I didn't think too much of it until I realized they were putting a couple of stitches in my arm!  Not expecting that... no, not at all.

So, now we wait for all the results to come back from the labs.  I still have some silly red bumps that seem to NOW be getting smaller and don't itch anymore.  However, now I am sporting two cool looking stitches that DO itch.  ARG!!  ha ha ha!!

Needless to say, I was pretty wiped out after Friday and we kept going the rest of the weekend.  I am just now starting to feel like I am recovered from the weekend. 

Thus explains the slight silence of the last few days.  I hope to give you a glimpse into our very bare and work in progress nursery sometime soon.


  1. Wow! I'll be praying for you. Hope you can give us a report this evening at Bible Study.

  2. I have had that happen to me three times now...the biopsy part and stitches (not little bug-like bites). Unfortunately for me, it always resulted in surgery...I hope it is nothing serious.

  3. Well, the first biopsy says that it is most likely bug bites with a pretty bad allergic reaction. We are still waiting on the results from the second biopsy for any sort of virus. Stitches come out tomorrow! YAY!