Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Spring Planting

march-2009-002

 Spring is quickly arriving here in the Valley of the Sun.  Some of you may wonder if summer ever leaves.  Let me assure you that it does.  However, autumn and winter kind of get rolled into one short season.  So, while most of the country is trying to get out from under piles of snow or shivering from a blustery wind we are playing in the dirt.

This last weekend Husband and I decided that we would plant flowers in the MANY pots that we had laying around the house.  I am not sure where they all came from but they get the job done.  We planted a variety of colors of Snapdragons and Zinnias.  Both are rather heat tolerant and can do well i n some partial shade.  Seems like the right kinds of plants for us.

This was really the first time that I had done any flowers in containers.  Most of what I have known has been in flower beds, etc.  It made me think back to the house that I grew up in where we had tulips, daffodils, roses, lilacs, and some other varieties that I cannot remember in the areas surrounding our house.  Unfortunately, I don't think that bulb plants (tulips and daffodils) do very well here because it doesn't get cold enough and they are some of my favorites by far.  Roses don't really fit in with our landscaping and I have heard lilacs don't fare too well here either.  Such is life.  Different things for different places.  We are quite fortunate to have uch a variety of beautiful plants here in the desert that usually bloom all season.  Lovely, I tell you, lovely.  The chamomile trees smell AMAZING as do the blooming citrus trees.  We may have more than one lime this next season and maybe some oranges, too!  Finally!

Maybe the desert is an aquired taste?

No comments:

Post a Comment