Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Humanizing Animals

dressed-animals

I have been thinking about this for awhile.  While I think that I was quite guilty of this when I was younger I am pretty appalled at how far this trend seems to be going in society.  Or at least there seems to be more incidents of it that I am actually taking notice.

Sure,  I will admit to dressing up my little dog in leftover doll clothes and treating her somewhat like a human.  But really, she was a dog.  Not a child and there is a huge difference.  However, when you talk to some pet owners you would begin to realize that some do not make the distinction.  Phrases like, "Oh, I know what you mean I have three dogs" are responses to crazy days with the kids at the grocery store, etc.  Or they relate some story about their pet to your kid.  Ugh.  There really is no comparison.

I cannot just let my kid outside for the day or crate her when I need to go to the grocery store.  I am responsible for her development and little soul.  I finally understand parents frustration with these comparisons.

Then there is the recent chimp attack that is a brutal reminder that animals were not created to be treated as equals to humans.  One merely needs to look at Genesis 1:25-27. 

I think what really chaps my hide more than anything is that many of the people that sport a PETA bumper sticker are the also those that have proudly placed their pro-choice sticker right under it.

1 comment: