Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Written Word

Journal and Pen"Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write." - John Adams, 1765


I like to write.  It doesn't really matter what it is that I am writing as long as I enjoy the feel of the pen I could just keep going.  I will say that my favorite thing to write is personal correspondence.  Nothing beats a real letter delivered right to your mailbox.  Nothing seems quite as delightful as opening a letter from a friend or loved one.  They have taken time and thought to actually write something down and then to send it.  I love letters - sending and receiving.  My husband will tell you that I have a fascination with stamps, too.  It's true.  Not that I collect them but I love to buy the different designs to send out.  While I love the traditional "flag" stamps and all that they stand for, I really love to find the different designs and put a little something extra on my letters.  While most would never notice the extra touch, I always look at the stamp. 


While I was explaining to my husband reasons I like to write I think I started to sound a bit fanatical.  It's more the experience and satisfaction of writing than the final product really.  I like the sound of a mechanical pencil on paper (which was probably the only thing that really got me through me college calculus class!)  I love the feel of the pen in my hand.  I love the thought of a nicely picked piece of stationary and how my colored Sharpie pen glides across with each stroke.  I like the look, the sound, the feel.  The smell of a Sharpie is not always so delightful, though... but it doesn't deplete the experience one bit.


Along with writing I love to type.  Matt recently bought me a new laptop computer and I am simply in love with the keyboard.  I love the way the keys feel and the sounds they make as I click, click, click away.  It's the experience indeed.  I like to write e-mails.  Although, these days I don't seem quite as on top of it as I used to be.  The downside for me in typing is that my mind moves much faster than my fingers.  I will think that I have typed out a particular word only to go back and find several missing!  I do have my share of typos.  Maybe that will work itself out someday.  Such is life, I suppose.  But that is when I can be thankful for spell check and the "discipline" of proof-reading.


So, for some it's the end product of writing that is the great satisfaction.  While I do like the end product I greatly enjoy the experience much more.  For me the end product is a nice little perk. 


I like paper goods, ultra-fine tip Sharpie markers, blue pens, stamps, Hallmark seals, mechanical pencils, my blog, my journal, and obviously words.  What more can I say? 

No comments:

Post a Comment